Saturday, February 12, 2011

I heart ETC

Some people think that I am crazy because I work 6 days a week.

I work in corporate America 5 days a week and on Saturdays I work at my local thrift store.  The Et Cetera Shop to be exact...find them on Facebook here or on the web here.

A lot of people ask my why I choose to work 6 days a week.  I started working at Et Cetera on Saturdays about 3 1/2 years ago.  It all started as a way to earn some extra cash and to have somewhere to be on Saturdays.  I have grown to absolutely love working there.  It is a way to connect with and serve the community.  I have made so many new friends from the people I work with to the volunteers to the customers and the people who donate.  I love interacting with the volunteers - I love hearing about their families, eating all of their yummy treats and enjoying all of the vegetables they bring me from their gardens every summer.

I love that the Et Cetera Shop meets the needs of so many on so many levels.  It serves as a place where people can donate stuff they don't want or can't use any more.  It serves as a place where people can buy clothes and household items for a fraction of the price of buying it new...which helps all of us living on a budget.  It serves as a meeting place - relationships are formed between staff, volunteers, shoppers and those who donate.  The best part of all is that the Et Cetera Shop is not only serving the community, but the world beyond.  It is helping the environment by keeping things out of the landfill.  The profits of the Et Cetera shop are donated to Mennonite Central Committee (MCC).  "Your purchase or donation supports the disaster relief, sustainable community development and justice and peace-building work of Mennonite Central Committee locally and globally."  Learn more about MCC here .

I love finding vintage treasures!!
 Need shoes?
 or maybe a new coat?
 These great wooden toys are handmade by one of our volunteers - aren't they great!?!
 Clothing and other items that can't be sold are used to make rugs or place mats or coasters or bookmarks.
These are made on the looms right in the store!
 Need craft supplies - so much more affordable to buy them at Et Cetera rather than your craft store!
 Need buttons - there are always plenty!
  There are always lots of books and magazines too!

 Today was an extra fun day - the Saturday crew was challenged to put together an outfit.  These are on display in one of the front windows and we posted pictures of them on the Newton Et Cetera Shop Facebook page.  We are having a contest between the four of us to get the most "likes".  Below is the outfit that I put together.
I love, love, love vintage things and this is a great vintage dress.  I also love the red vintage purse.  They are sort of hard to see, but there are some awesome red sunglasses hanging on the pocket of the dress.  Go check out the rest of the outfits and vote for your favorite by clicking on 'like' under the picture.  Don't worry I won't hold it against you if you 'like' one of the other outfits more than mine!  

If you live locally and if you are now intrigued by the Et Cetera shop and you want to spend some time with me on Saturdays we are always looking for volunteers.  We have so much fun and you wouldn't be disappointed!  


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails